Our homes are now our offices AND our gyms. So if you’re new to the whole working out at home thing, here are a few tips from personal trainers to help you get started . . .
1. Clear some space. Getting rid of the clutter gives you room to move and helps clear your head. You also need to make sure there’s nothing you’ll bump into or trip on.
2. Open a window. It gets your blood flowing and helps put you in the right mindset. Plus, you don’t want to be breathing the same stale, sweaty air the whole time.
3. Wear good shoes. Don’t assume you can work out in slippers just because you’re at home. Things like yoga are okay barefoot. Otherwise, wear sneakers.
4. You don’t have to do it all at once. A few mini-workouts can be just as good as one big one. So if you’re dealing with kids or can’t find time, just fit it in when you can. Even ten pushups and some squats a few times a day is great when you’re just starting out.
5. Go easy on yourself. Make sure you warm up and cool down . . . don’t forget to stretch . . . and don’t overdo it. One of the biggest mistakes people make is doing too much too soon. Then you’re sore for a week.