Today is National Junk Food Day! The website Zippia.com analyzed Google searches from all 50 states to find each state’s favorite snack. And three categories dominated: potato chips, candy bars, and cookies. Here are the highlights.
1. Candy bars topped the list in 10 states: Utah, 3 Musketeers . . . New Hampshire, Almond Joy . . . Tennessee, Baby Ruth . . . Massachusetts, Crunch Bar . . . Pennsylvania, Hershey’s . . . Nevada, Kit Kats . . . South Dakota, Milky Way . . . Louisiana, PayDay . . . Minnesota, Snickers . . . and Wisconsin, Twix.
2. Eight states love cookies: Oreos are the top snack in Hawaii, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maryland, and Virginia . . . Chips Ahoy took the top spot in New York . . . Grandma’s Cookies are #1 in Missouri . . . and Nutter Butters are #1 in Kansas.
3. Various potato chips took first in seven states: Kettle chips in Oregon . . . Lay’s in West Virginia and Georgia . . . Pringles in Indiana and Iowa . . . Ruffles in Alabama . . . and salt-and-vinegar chips in South Carolina.
4. A few more snacks that got more than one state: Fritos are #1 in Delaware, Kentucky, and Nebraska . . . Cheez-Its in Arizona and Washington . . . Ritz Crackers came in first in Maine and Rhode Island . . . Michigan and Oklahoma love South Patch Kids . . . and Starburst snagged the top spot in North Carolina and Ohio.
5. And finally: Wyoming and North Dakota are both obsessed with sunflower seeds . . . and granola bars are #1 in Alaska.